Record year for Xilam prompts ambitious growth plans

A stronger grip on international markets and momentum behind its original content pipeline will put the French animation house on strong footing in the coming years, the company says

Written by Rhys Thomas

Posted 28.03.2019 | Watch

Record year for Xilam prompts ambitious growth plans thumbnail

Revenue hit a record high at Xilam Animation for the year ended 31 December 2018, growing 16 per cent to €28m thanks to continued momentum in its international business and strong uptake of new productions.

Operating profit hit €9.7m, an increase of more than a third on the same period in 2017. Fresh content, including the latest seasons of Xilam staples Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko, as well as brand-new productions Parika and the Mr Magoo reboot, accounted for 65 per cent of total sales, making the French animation studio €18.2m, a double-digit increase. Sales from its catalogue represented the remaining 35 per cent, €9.7m in revenue.

Chairman and CEO Marc du Pontavice says new productions will continue to be the driver behind Xilam’s growth. The arrival of major new streaming platforms from the likes of Disney, Apple and Warner will futher deepen the pool of investment capital for original productions, a resource Marc says the company is “is particularly well placed to take advantage of “.

“In addition, we are actively working to diversify the revenue from our brands,” he adds.

As well as more investment from international powerhouses, Xilam has enjoyed increased demand for its series from outside its domestic market. The majority of sales (64 per cent) were in international territories, a contribution that continues to rise.

Between now and 2020, Xilam has plotted an ambitious growth strategy focused on strengthening its most profitable business strands – namely new content – and pushing further into emerging markets like China and India. The animator will increase output of original IP and up the speed with which it can pump out new seasons for proven winners, balanced on a foundation of steady catalogue sales.

Pre-school will play a key role in the plan. Xilam hopes to exploit as yet untapped potential with its properties for licensed merchandise and monetisation through educational and electronic gaming. It will also look to pad out its internal talent pool through acquisitions of ‘boutique studios and talent collectives’.


BLE19 Preview: Mattel thumbnail

BLE19 Preview: Mattel

Barbie, Hot Wheels and the 75th anniversary of Thomas & Friends in 2020 make for a strong showing as the ...

The Elf on the Shelf counts down to Christmas thumbnail

The Elf on the Shelf counts down to Christmas

With 100 days to go, the family-favourite brand is gearing up for its biggest festive season to date, including renewed ...

Bamford times watch collab to Popeye anniversary thumbnail

Bamford times watch collab to Popeye anniversary

The special-edition, luxury watch created in collaboration with King Features commemorates Popeye’s 90th anniversary and is limited to just 50-pieces

Press Releases

Milkshake picks up Pirata & Capitan S2 thumbnail

Milkshake picks up Pirata & Capitan S2

UK kids’ block acquires second series of the Millimages pre-school animation after successful first run

Moorcroft is Chelsea’s Choice thumbnail

Moorcroft is Chelsea’s Choice

Moorcroft and RHS present the limited-edition vase Chelsea’s Choice, celebrating Chelsea Flower Show 18 Plant of the Year

Henson back catalogue hits Amazon thumbnail

Henson back catalogue hits Amazon

More than 100 days’ of The Jim Henson Company’s content including Fraggle Rock now streaming on Amazon Prime Video

Pingu cooks up creative competition thumbnail

Pingu cooks up creative competition

Readers of lifestyle mag Lettuce Club are tasked with inventing tasty Pingu-themed recipes