Video game phenomenon Fortnite reigned supreme at last night’s International Licensing Awards, taking home five gongs in its first year on the licensing scene.
The brand was named Best App/Video Game Brand of the Year and also picked up the Newcomer Award, a new category designed to recognise brands and companies who make an impact during their first year of licensing.
Three Fortnite licensees rounded out a massive debut. Jazwares took a trophy for its Fortnite Llama Loot Pinata, Hasbro’s twist on a classic board game with Fortnite Monopoly was also triumphant, and Spirit Halloween was awarded the final award for its Fortnite costumes.
The awards took place during Licensing Expo 2019 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Centre.
Not far behind Fortnite was Warner Bros.’ Harry Potter, the winner of four trophies – a mix of product and retail, as well as being named Best Live Action Entertainment/Character Brand.
In addition to the awards presentation, Pam Lifford, president of Warner Bros. Global Brands & Experiences, and Michael Stone, chairman and co-founder of Beanstalk, were inducted into the Licensing Industry Hall of Fame for their lifelong service to the industry.
“2018 was an incredible year for our industry, which is reflected in this slate of winners and honorees,” says Maura Regan, president, Licensing International. “It’s been particularly satisfying to see the increasingly international nature of the licensing business reflected throughout the entire awards process. Congratulations to the winners, who showcase the creativity and innovation that makes our global industry tick.”
The 2019 International Licensing Awards winners are:
BEST LICENSED PRODUCTS
• Apparel / Footwear / Accessories – Spirit Halloween for the Fortnite costumes and accessories range
• Appliance / Automotive/ Housewares / Electronics – Ion Audio for the Ford Mustang LP record player
• Toys / Games / Novelties for ages 0-12 – (Tie) Lego for the Harry Potter range ANDJazwares for the Fortnite Llama Loot Piñata
• Apps / Software / Video Games – Kano for the Harry Potter Coding Kit
• Food / Beverage – The Ruprecht Company for the Tony Roma’s range
• Health and Beauty Aids – ASOS/CREA Cosmetics for the Crayola Beauty Range
• Home Décor – Crate & Kids for the Sesame Street furniture and décor range
• Publishing / Back-to-School – Moleskine for Super Mario notebook and stationary range
• Toys / Games / Novelties for ages 13+ – Hasbro for Fortnite Monopoly
BEST LICENSED BRAND
• Art / Design / Celebrity/ Fashion Brand – The Very Hungry Caterpillar / World of Eric Carle by Eric Carle Studio, LLC & The Joester Loria Group
• Digital / App / Video Game Brand – Fortnite by Epic Games
• Corporate Brand – The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. by The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
• Entertainment / Character Brand: Animated – L.O.L. Surprise! by MGA Entertainment
• Entertainment / Character Brand: Live-Action – Harry Potter by Warner Bros. Consumer Products
• Food / Beverage / Restaurant Brand – Hershey’s Reese’s by The Hershey Company
• Sports / Collegiate Brand – NFLPA by NFLPA
• Best Licensed Promotion – Home Alone Again by 20th Century Fox / Google Assistant
• Best Licensed Collaboration – The Peanuts Global Artist Collective by Peanuts Worldwide
• Best Experiential or Location-based Initiative – Camp Master Chef by Cerdanya / Endemol Shine North America
• Best Retailer for a Character / Entertainment Initiative – Galéries Lafayette for Wizarding World
• Best Retailer for a Corporate / Lifestyle / Sports Initiative – Forever 21 for Coca Cola
• The Newcomer Award – Fortnite by Epic Games
• Community Choice Award – Funko for Warhammer 40,000 figurines