Following a slate of recent company news regarding the launch of the Kartoon Channel!, the creation of Stan Lee Universe – anchored by a global deal with Archie Comics – and the appointment of Michael Uslan as head of development for Stan Lee Universe, Genius Brands International has announced more important business updates.
Genius Brands chairman and CEO Andy Heyward, said: “Recently, we have made tremendous strides in our growth and those developments are just a part of the Genius Brands’ story.
“During this time our Kartoon Channel! team has been working on the iOS app, which will debut before month end, and securing new content. Our global consumer products sales team and our international distribution sales team have been busy negotiating and closing deals.
“Today, we’re sharing the announcement of distribution deals stretching across four different continents, and consumer products licensing deals with products ranging from branded face masks to bicycles. These new agreements give us an even stronger platform to deliver long-term value at Genius Brands. We are working diligently to build a value machine in children’s entertainment – gathering the best talents in the industry and striving to provide top-quality content. This is the best way to deliver long-term shareholder return.”
New broadcast and platform content deals
Genius Brands has signed a raft of broadcast and digital platform deals around the world for its animated tentpole children’s series, Rainbow Rangers, currently airing in the US on Nick Jr., including:
- Australia’s Nine Network (seasons one and two)
- New Zealand’s TVNZ (season one)
- MENA’s Discovery Kids (seasons one and two)
- Israel’s NOGA (seasons one and two)
- TV2 in Hungary (season one)
- Poland’s Mini Mini (seasons one and two)
- Portugal’s Canal Panda (seasons one and two)
- Pikaboo in the Balkans (seasons one and two)
- Pan-regional partner, Nickelodeon Latin American and NOGGIN (season two)
Shanghai Senyu has also licensed the rights for Mainland China to season two of the Rainbow Rangers with an investment commitment. Shanghai Senyu currently represents season one of the series and manages the development of the consumer products program for the brand across the region.
For Llama Llama, starring Jennifer Garner, Genius Brands has signed new international content deals, including TVP in Poland, KAN in Israel, and Croatia’s HRT.
New retail initiatives
In the consumer products’ marketplace, Genius Brands is gearing up for the August retail launch at Walmart for the Rainbow Rangers’ toy line from Mattel, along with hundreds of other product SKUs coming to retail over the next 12 months.
The company is also developing its international retail program and has appointed two new licensing agents to manage Rainbow Rangers in key territories, including Tycoon (Mexico) and ETS Licensing (Italy).
In addition to Mattel, current manufacturing partners producing product for mass retail and online for Rainbow Rangers include:
- Distribution Solutions (DVDs)
- Bentex (apparel)
- MacMillan Publishing (books)
- Dynacraft (bicycles – a completely sold out first run with more arriving this fall)
- Centric Brands (sleepwear)
- Handcraft (underwear)
- Disguise (costumes and accessories)
Additional partners appointed to create Llama Llama branded products for a wide range of mass, specialty and online retail distribution nationwide, include:
- Kids Preferred (plush)
- Bendon Publishing (activity books)
- NCircle Entertainment (DVDs)
- Scholastic (game and activity books available exclusively at Scholastic Book Fairs)
- PhatMojo (toys)
- Cuddle Barn (holiday plush)
- Core Home (range of hydration and feeding products)
- Everyday Kids, (children's bedding and home décor)
- Spirit! (book with plush set)
- Decopac (bake design and decorating kits)
- Prime Party (party goods)
- Creative Converting (party accessories)
- Halloween.com/Fun.com (Halloween costumes)
- Kurt Adler (holiday ornaments)
In the international marketplace, Genius Brands has appointed Centa IP as licensing agent to drive the Llama Llama business across Pac-Asia.
New Kartoon Channel! update
An iOS COPPA compliant Kartoon Channel! app will be available by end of July to further enhance user experience. Additional marquis content will also be announced in the coming weeks.